'Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears; I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him. The evil that men do lives after them, The good is oft interred with their bones'


This week has been so energy sapping after working late on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings. However, the highlight of my week was Thursday's trip to the New Theatre in Cardiff to see an RSC production of Julius Ceasar. This was a belated birthday present from my dear friend, the classicist Dr Ken Donovan. The production itself was all the more interesting in having an all black cast. The opening line of the production notes from Richard Dowden, Director of the Royal African Society reads, 'If Shakespeare were with us now, an African friend once told me, he would have a much better rapport with me than you'.

For me, looking at law and the legal world as a philosopher, Shakespeare is inseparable from the law-world in that, the issues discussed in so many of the plays are still pertinent. Julius Ceasar as a play brings into discussion the concepts of tyranny, political and personal friendships, morality on the battlefield and a deep respect for fallen friends from opposing political perspectives. In the words of Brutus,

'O judgment, thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason!'



There is still time to let me know your nominated choice of law related articles for the 'Articles of the week' in this week's 'The Law Business' blog from the SundayLawReview team!

Twitter seemed to be playing up once again just as I was about to post my #FollowFriday tweets. @TheLawMap Twitter account had many wonderful interactions this week and my sincere apologies to anyone I have missed out.




_________________________
For a complete archive of Law News dating back to 27th January 2011, please visit -
LawNewsIndex.com 

Share on Google Plus

About TheLawMap

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment