The Offending Sheriff of Glasgow and the Saturday Law Interview

A Scottish lady glancing at her watch
That new advert from the body that promotes South African tourism is a breath of fresh air. I so love the idea of 'meeting South Africa' rather than a mere visit to the country. Curiously, I have always felt this way when visiting another country, Scotland. Something about the undulated landscape that is at times breathtaking. 

I experienced the coldest night of my life perched on top of Arthur's Peak overlooking Edinburgh's enlightenment grandeur on January 1st, 2000. In that first dawn of the new millennium, we watched the sun come up rolled under a fluffy blanket. The rain had kept away, but that night I wouldn't have minded the odd drop or even a downpour. 

The cold aside, my other visits to Scotland had seen the blistering sun up in noon sky, so much so that the one I loved then commented how I had brought the light with me. This was wholly inaccurate but there is something of a seductive quality to the Scottish light. The Highland paintings in the National Gallery in Edinburgh is full of that light. What of Glasgow? Well, it didn't exactly pour down during my visits to the industrial banks of Clyde. Yet the immense contrast in social class is quickly felt as one crosses the street at the edge of town, into the parts just a little downtrodden. The traditional rivalry between the two metropolis was apparent even to this outsider. Now that the shipyards have all but fallen silent perhaps there is even more of a disparity? A few weeks ago a criminal lawyer from this very part of the world shared an anecdote about an incident inside the Glasgow Sheriff's Court. The story had even made it to the newspapers and it is my great pleasure that in this week's Saturday Law Interview, that very same lawyer Paul Mullen spoke to us about some of the changes sweeping through the Scottish justice system, his content life as a Glasgow lawyer, as well as giving us the background to what really happened inside the Sheriff's Court: 

Weekend Offender: 'A Lush Life' as a Criminal Lawyer in Glasgow

The cricket season has truly started and despite my measured interest in the limited overs game, the week has felt decidedly upbeat with the start to the ICC Champion's Trophy. While the first game in Cardiff between South Africa and India was sold out, I have found myself cheekily switching on to the TMS commentary whenever I can. A cricket-loving lawyer would be featured in one of our future Saturday Law Interviews. I can't wait. It is a different kind of light but just as enlightening..

Our Saturday Law Interviews from previous weeks:




They let out a few ruffians on the sacred Lord's turf in 2011 for all but 15 minutes

The week's Twitter highlights had included wonderful interaction with the following from the legal community:

 
for lovely interactions and nice tweets this week to: 

Share on Google Plus

About TheLawMap

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment